(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Thursday, October 20, 2005

I'm gonna be the most popular girl!


left: Ryan's friend Jake. right: Ryan. crappy low-res cell phone photo credit: yours truly. Posted by Picasa

I found out a couple of days ago that I was going to appear on The Oprah Winfrey Program today. Uhm, that's different. Who knew?

Here's the deal:

My friend Ed starred in a "reality tv show" that actually documented reality. I know... go figure. Ed hosted a young, religious, ex-military, and very conservative 24 year old guy named Ryan. Ryan is from rural Michigan and had never been to San Francisco. Almost everything was filmed for a month, allowing for reality to ensue.

Ed had been cast for the "gay/straight" episode of Morgan Spurlock's 30 Days. I appear as one of Ed's friends, and no I didn't get paid. heh. I've heard all the chatter about reality television disappearing. Can you hear the laughter of TV $tudio management? I sure can.

The good news is that the producers did not exploit "the gay community" for shock value (aka: more ratings). That is, unless you count our visit to Daddy's as shock value. This was a true attempt to challenge the beliefs and prejudices on both sides of the equation. I saw Ryan grow as a person and I think that the positive outcome of the process is evident in the footage that made the final cut. His sharing of that experience is a good thing.

Anyway, three or so clips of the program were shown on Oprah today. Check out the program summary on Oprah's website. I believe FX is coming out with a Season 1 DVD of "30 Days" in the near future.

IN OTHER NEWS...

1. I managed to run/jog the entire length of Golden Gate Park (a little over 3 miles) from Haight Street to the Pacific Ocean. This is quite a feat for someone recovering from a knee injury. WOOT!

2. The radio talkshow producer for a certain bay area T.V. personality (think large cranium) has been promoted to another department. The "powers that be" have asked me to fill-in for the first week of the transition. That's not a bad sign.

Now I just need to figure out a way to get a new place to live and distance myself from the anal-retentive roommate. Oh yeah, that's right, I need a real job. ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home